Let’s face it, you’ve probably lost your small Fire TV remote at some point. And don’t worry, we are not here to judge. When you can’t find the remote or your hands are too busy to turn on your favorite movie, your Amazon Echo can save the day.
Amazon’s digital assistant, Alexa, can help you play movies and TV shows from Amazon Prime Video, Netflix and more using your Fire TV. You can also stop, pause, rewind and play the next episode with voice commands.
Before you connect your Amazon Echo device and the Fire TV, make sure they’re both linked to the same Amazon account.
Connect your Amazon Alexa app to your Fire TV
1. Open your Amazon Alexa app and tap Settings.
2. Select TV and Video.
3. Choose Fire TV by tapping the plus sign.
4. Tap Link Your Alexa Device, then follow the on-screen instructions to finish setting up.
Connect your Amazon Echo to your Fire TV
1. Go to settings on your Fire TV.
2. Scroll over and select Controllers & Bluetooth Devices.
3. Select Other Bluetooth Devices.
4. Click on your Echo profile to connect.
Connect Your Fire TV to Netflix
To connect your Amazon Fire TV device to your Netflix account, make sure you are on the Home screen and follow the steps below.
- From the main screen, select Search.
- Type “Netflix,” then select Netflix.
- Select Netflix.
- Select Free or Download.
- When the download completes, select Open.
- Select Sign In.
- Enter your Netflix email address and password.
Turn on your Fire TV with a command
In order for you to turn on your Fire TV handsfree, go to Settings > Alexa > Turn on TV with Alexa.
Commands you can say to Alexa to start watching TV
“Alexa, watch Avengers: Infinity War.”
“Alexa, play Downton Abbey.”
“Alexa, play Golden Girls on Netflix.”
“Alexa, search for Avengers on Netflix.”
“Alexa, watch TBS on Netflix.”
“Alexa, turn the volume up/down on Fire TV.”
“Alexa, turn Fire TV on/off.”